Tuesday, June 7, 2016

(Un)fashionable Me

Over the last 30 or so years I've dipped in and out of fashion (I have a love/hate relationship with sewing and mending/modifying). Sometimes I like to be cutting edge, sometimes I like being purposefully out of fashion, for the last five years I mostly just wore jeans and nondescript t-shirts. But continuity has been a linchpin of my looks - wearing a dress for ten, even twenty years in different ways, cutting it in two to make a top or skirt when another part is damaged, that sort of thing. I still held on to vintage or unusual clothes I'd had back when I lived in Hamtramck, and wore them sometimes to class at Boise State University; but I mostly stopped wearing them when I left Idaho.I didn't want to stand out. I wanted to not draw attention to myself. I wanted to seem more normal, more responsible, more hire-able, more conservative. Not fun, not interesting, not anything but blendable. Harmless. Dependable. Not artsy or possibly decadent. How sad, right?

This isn't true any more. During my last move, I could only take a limited number of boxes from CA to MA, and I had to let so much go I still have waves of shock and sorrow even half a year later. I took very few clothes, mostly what would pack very flat. I knew clothes would come to me from yard sales and thrift stores, and I had to admit almost all my vintage had been worn to death or barely fit without a serious corset - prednisone for a year blew me up like a balloon, and most of that weight is still clinging even with my fabulous new personal trainer's help. So I let the vintage go.

I'm tired of jeans and t-shirts again. Moving back to New England I remembered why Cyndi Lauper was my heroine growing up: homogeneity is all around me in the Boston area. Sure, there are some marvelous exceptions, and I light up and smile when I see them on the street. But how to get back in that groove after so many years of "blah?" And how to avoid owning too much of a good thing, now that I've committed to owning less?

I found a hip length green silk kimono with blue dragons and an asymmetrical neckline. I decided I would concentrate on interesting tops to wear with my jeans, ones I could take in as I go down in weight, and for every nifty top I'll give away a t-shirt, one at a time. I think this will work! 


No comments:

Post a Comment